Friday, January 28, 2011

How did I get here?

This is a question I have reflected on a lot lately. How did I end up here in my life? There is a simple answer to that question. Gods plan is far greater than mine! Let me explain "my" plans for myself.

3 years ago: January 2008 - I was a junior in college, single, and absolutely loving life. I had no intention of "settling down" for a few years. I was going to graduate the following year, become a full-time teacher, buy a house myself (this is my favorite - on a teacher salary!), then maybe consider a husband. Children were not in the picture until I had accomplished all of these things and at least worked for a few years. Toss in a Master's degree and I was going to be set. (Not one of these played out.)

2 years ago: Student teaching is in full swing and I absolutely adored it! Teaching is my passion. I was also now engaged and going to be married in April. (so throw my plans from last year out the window!) My fiance already owned a house, so I still was becoming a homeowner, just not on my terms. We decided together to not even bring up the idea of children until our second anniversary (April 2011). I was still going to teach for those couple years and live my dream.

1 year ago: The September after we were married something was weighing heavy on my heart. I tried to ignore it for a while, but God doesn't let you ignore Him. I wanted a baby. When I finally sat down to talk to  Steve about it, I was not the only one God was working on. (This is 5 months after our wedding having this convo, definately not 2 years!) With budget cuts and layoffs, I was not teaching full time, but rather substituting. We prayed. And prayed. What did God want!?!?! Steve was set to leave for Japan in January and so we decided to take that time to really pray for understanding and re-evaluate "our plans."

Now: 8 months pregnant and just waiting for Baby Grace to get here. How I wouldn't want life any other way! She will be here just before our 2nd anniversary and I cant imagine just starting to have the conversation. How blessed I feel to have been obedient when God called upon our hearts! Life really isn't up to us. We make great plans and dreams and have discussions, but we forget that God needs to be remembered in those plans. He must think our plans our crazy! Surely He laughed at me 3 years ago as I told Him exactly how the next 5 years of my life were going to be. The beautiful things is, is that God is giving me the desires of my heart because I fully trusted Him and he changed my desires. He has far greater plans for me then I could have imagined for myself. I am married, I joyfully take care of my house and make sure it runs smoothly, I am having a beautiful baby.I am tremendously blessed! All these things were not in my plans, but each of them is precious in the sight of God - especially when He calls upon us and we listen!

When making plans our first thoughts should be: How can I glorify you best? What do you desire us to do? Show us wisdom and lead us in our decision making. We trust in you and want to follow your lead. Change the desires of my heart to match up with yours. All easier said than done! But by faith and obedience this is what we should do. Especially since it is abundantly clear that His plans are far greater than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment