Let me start off by saying I had no idea what I was doing! (Duck is not a normal dinner and a bit hard to research as well!) But I read what I could and took bits from different places to create my own way to roast this duck. My husband worked hard to get it and the last thing I wanted to do was ruin it!
* I demand that by the time it reaches the kitchen that it is clean and looks like a raw chicken. I do not play with feathers or body parts!
1) The duck was clean and dry. The roaster pan was ready (you dont want the duck sitting in the fat drippings so elevate it any way you can...a roaster pan ideally) I also privked it lightly all over, but for this duck I don't think it was really needed, although all websites insist on how fatty ducks are and this will help the fat drip off. This duck must have been skinny.
2) In a small bowl I made a dry rub. 1 or so tsp of each: Sea salt, pepper, garlic salt, Grill Mates Chicken Rub and just a dash of Paprika. Rub this all over the outside and what you can on the inside of the duck.
3) Roast for 1 hr on 375.
4)Melt 1/4c butter (yes, I made this the unhealthy way!) Pour over duck and return to oven for 45 min.
5) Repeat 1/4 c butter and return for 10-15 minutes.
6) Check temperature of the duck, it should be 165 degrees or higher.
*The skin turns out nice and crispy with lots of flavor! My husband was impressed and loved it! (I was impressed too!)
And the before picture. Opening Day of Duck Hunting.